April 10


I never like spring so well as when I am able to be out amongst the growing things and with the best of company.   This past Friday brought me the unbridled joy of seeing my dear friend Ms. Bosworth and her dear fiancé arrive safely at the plantation.  I had spent my entire day in fits of anxiety, fearing every hour brought a new set of dangers, and that indeed something ill had befallen them.  Gladly, as the hour of five approached, my heart was set at ease in spying their carriage from my bedroom window approach.  I am amazed I did not do harm to myself as I ran down the stairs in my haste to greet them; all the while calling through the house “They have come! They have come! Ms. Bosworth is safely arrived!”  I caused such a commotion I suspect nearly every servant stopped what task they were conducting to observe what is was.  Mrs. Hegwood stepped from the parlor and Mr. Hegwood from his study, each looking bewildered and perturbed at my behavior.  I gave not the time for Nigel to execute his task of announcing them, for I was out of the door and to their carriage before it could even stop rightly, calling to them and projecting my well-wishing sentiments at the top of my voice.  I confess my conduct in no way reflected the state of my expensive and exhausted up-bringing. 

Our picnic company
However, at length, Ms. Bosworth and Mr. McCarty were ushered inside and attended to with every care possible, taking advantage of a well needed secure night’s sleep.  Saturday, I woke early, and paced about my room in my dressing gown, fitfully un-braiding and re-braiding my hair, watching the sun lift itself over the horizon.  My nervous anticipation was two-fold, for I so desired to be in company with Ms. Bosworth, but also after what felt like an absence that was too long to be described, I was to see the Doctor again.  One would think that after so many encounters, I would grow tired of the idea, but each time it was fresh.

Ms. Bosworth and Ms. Waterman
Once the morning began in earnest, it was gone in an instant, and we all managed to arrive at our picnic location in one piece with little fuss and bother.  I cannot say I am too innocent in regards to fuss and bother; I of course, had a moment of nothing being fit to wear in my entire wardrobe.  Is that not always the way with us as women?

Ms. Stockton takes a turn
The day progressed beautifully, the weather could not have been any more pleasant, and all of my favorite people arrive.  The Jacksons were there, Miss Jordan, Miss Stockton, Miss Haskins, Mr. Ramsey, and of course the Doctor, myself, Miss Bosworth and Mr. McCarty.  All were in their best looks, and after some light refreshments, Mr. Ramsey, the Doctor, and Mr. McCarty found a suitable clearing for a relaxed game of Cricket.  Miss Bosworth, myself, Miss Haskins and Miss Stockton all went to watch them.  The gentlemen looked dashing as always, and scandalized us all in taking off their coats, for ease of playing.  They put on a very good show of flexing and strutting, and at one point I believe the Doctor began the great crack in our Cricket bat.  After being bored of watching the gentlemen show off, I demanded they give each of us ladies a turn.  It was quite fun, and I did indeed hit the ball hard enough to allow me a quick jaunt to the other wicket, though I got arrogant and made an attempt to run back for a second point, in which Mr. Ramsey and Mr. McCarty no longer wanted to play gently and struck me out.  I was quite put out and made a show of it, but all knew I had no ill sentiments about the entire thing.  Miss Bosworth was our last to the bat, as after her second hit the bat split completely in two! Mr. McCarty claims he can repair it, and we all made great sport with Miss Bosworth, claiming she was a lion!  
"we most certainly were stuck"

The rest of the afternoon consisted of many turns about the beautiful grounds, exploring the stairways and indulging in long awaited for conversations.  Miss Bosworth and I found ourselves in the most peculiar situations more than once; at one point we climbed, very ill advisedly, atop a little stone bridge to see if the view was any more attractive from there.  We found that is most certainly was not, and that we most certainly were stuck.  Mr. McCarty was summoned to aide Miss Bosworth down and since the Doctor felt (I can only suppose) that I was HIS responsibility, came to aide me.  He very politely lifted me off of the bridge and looked at me with only a mild disapproving look, though somewhere in it I was positive I sensed a smile.  

Before I knew it, the sun dipped below the trees, and our coaches were all brought ‘round and we each returned to our own homes, though Mr. McCarty and Ms. Bosworth came back to our estate as they were not to depart until Monday.  We were all so exhausted that we could only give Mr. and Mrs. Hegwood a brief but positive review of the charming day we all enjoyed.

Ms. Bosworth and Mr. McCarty
I never thought the departure of such a dear friend could cause such an impact on me, but I have been so dejected since they have left.  I have hardly been able to rally enough to take any turns through our property, or to see the horses.  I have spent much of my time in my room, or pacing about the house like a ghost, lethargic and melancholy.

I must bear the solitude and lack of my Ms. Bosworth until I see her again, later this summer.  It shall take all of my fortitude.








Ms. Waterman and the Doctor
Ms. Stockton ready for her turn with the hoop.

Our Dandy Gents
The General and Ms. Haskins play at Graces

No comments:

Post a Comment