June 8, 1812

fter much persistence and insistence, I have finally acquiesced and let my mama purchase for my enjoyment a diary. Those are, of course, her words and not my own. For myself, I see very little enjoyment in wasting my leisurely hours writing down my day-to-day life; but Mama insists upon my improvement of penmanship. To her, all fine ladies strive to perfect every aspect of their lives.

To the other side of the situation, I see a great deal of good keeping words between me and a confident that is unable, under any circumstances, divulge my secrets.
Upon that subject, my Aunt Elizabeth has come up with yet another scheme for me, since my dearest sister is now out of her grasp, wedded and immune to the plots. Since I am the last left, all of her efforts are pinned upon me, and there seems to be some sort of race starting to see me happily married off. I am but two-and-twenty, and am frankly in no rush to be attached, but she is, after all, my father’s sister and not to be trifled with or dissuaded. Such being the case, she has seen herself fit to ensnare a poor “friend of a friend of a friend or distant relation”, whichever it may be, into her ideas, and I feel I must be as courteous and kind on his behalf more than my own. It is beyond my understanding why, but this gentleman she has chosen to be a second pawn in her game resides across the oceans in America, of all places. Why ever she thought to engage me in written conversation with such a far-flung gentleman is entirely beyond me. That being the situation, I resolved to write this gentleman and this morning handed off a brief letter to be dropped in the post. I am unsure how long the letter will take, but will not anticipate any response in the near future if at all. Who knows what the man will think of me? I am almost embarrassed for my aunts sake as well as my own.

In other recent news, not relating to Aunt E, my dearest and only sister Kathryn to my combined pride and sorrow has just been married and is now no longer part of our happy home. I feel her absence quite sharply, as we share an uncommon bond of twin sisters. My soul comfort is knowing how much they do dote upon one another and love each other completely. She requested that I accompany her for the last week of her honeymoon and from there travel with her and her new husband to their new home in London, to assist her in adjusting to her new home. It is a very charming home to behold, and is fitting for the new life, and if i may be so bold to say wealth that she has come into. For my pleasure and much to my joy, amongst her rose gardens she has placed multiple bird houses and bird baths for me to observe and sketch in the quiet hours of the morning, as she knows I love to do. She also presented to me, upon my arrival, two blank notebooks for my to fill with drawings and observations! She truly is the most caring and considerate of creatures. I spent three happy days in their company, and was heartbroken as I was called away by mama and father. I believe their loneliness in our large empty house was beginning to weigh heavily upon them, and one daughter is better than none.

Yesterday, upon her request, I paid a visit to my dearest friend Madeline as her brother has just returned from the coast where he has spent the past four years. According to Madeline, he has found himself a great fortune in trade. Unfortunately, I have to admit, I heard not a single word that was said in this discussion for I found myself quite distracted with her brother, Mr. Brennan. I have been well acquainted with the Brennan family since I was but a child, and the memories I have of Mr. Brennan are of an awkward and quiet youth. I never expected him to grow so handsome and confident from home, developing a charming and sharp wit. He seems to have just improved with his success. Madeline informed me that he is currently unattached, and understands that there is no one holding his current interest. I said nothing to her short of a smile and a nod, as I could never voice my admiration for Mr. Brennan, even to my closest friend. What would she possibly think of me? I daren’t even wonder, I am much too shy to admit to anyone my growing fondness for Mr. Brennan.

No comments:

Post a Comment